|The first church on this site dates back to the 13th Century, a cross-shaped building much
smaller than the ruins on view today. This was enlarged later in the same century, possibly following a fire.
The result was a building some 280ft in length, taller than the original and with a new choir and an octagonal
chapter house. After St Andrews this was the second largest cathedral in Scotland. Some badly judged local politics
led to the burning of the Cathedral (and much of Elgin) in 1390, by the Wolf of Badenoch,(Alexander Stewart,
the younger son of Robert II). He also burned the Castle at Forres.